Complete the following steps for certification as an Independent Provider for Individual Options, Level 1 and SELF services. Click here if you are becoming certified to provide ONLY Informal Respite services for your family member.
Go to the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD) website using the link below.
Follow the steps on this page.
Here is some additional information that may be helpful for you.
For Step 2:
* If you are unable to obtain a copy of your high school diploma, a copy of your high school transcript showing a graduation date is acceptable. If you have a college diploma, you may submit that in place of the high school diploma/GED.
* Butler County DD does not do BCII/FBI checks. Please use the link on the DODD website to find a location to have your BCII/FBI check done.
o All providers must have a BCII check done. If you have not lived in Ohio for the past 5 years, you must also have a FBI check done.
o When requesting the BCII check, use this code: 5123.169 or the title “Applicant for a Supported Living Certificate.” When requesting the FBI check, use this code: 5126.28 or the title “Employment with DODD.”
o Ask to have your BCII/FBI results sent directly to DODD.
Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities
Office of Provider Certification
30 E Broad St. 13th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
* In the application, you will need to agree to be enrolled in Rapback, which will continually monitor for any "hits" on your fingerprints. If DODD is able to successfully enroll you in Rapback, you will not need to have any other BCII checks done for future certification renewals. However, if you are required to have a FBI check you will need to continue to have that done as required.
* You may be asked for additional documentation based on the services you have selected to provide. If you are not sure which services you would like to become certified for click on Service Definitions for more information.
* There is information available to assist you with completing the online application. Click here to view the webinar www.youtube.com/watch or click here to view the slides from the presentation dodd.ohio.gov/Training/Documents/New%20Agency%20PowerPoint10.19.16.pdf
Initial Provider Certification Training Resources - Click on the name for more information:
Academy for Direct Support Professionals - classroom training
CEU Certificates - web-based training
Clearwater Council of Governments - web-based training
Kevin M. Kane Training Center - classroom training
Ohio Association of County Boards - Course 116 - web-based training
Ohio Alliance of Direct Support Professionals - classroom training
Train to Excel - correspondence training
If you are pursuing certification for HPC Transportation Services, which can be used with Homemaker Personal Care, Adult Foster Care or Adult Family Living services, you will need the following information
• Valid Driver’s License
• Recent copy of your driving record with less than six points. You will need to get a certified copy at your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles or request it online using this link services.dps.ohio.gov/BMVOnlineServices/DL/Abstract/Agreement for a $5.00 fee.
• Proof of vehicle insurance. Make sure your name is listed as covered by the policy on the information you submit.
For Step 3
Be sure to check your junk/spam folders as sometimes email from DODD will go into these folders even if you have previously received an email from their domain.
Once your provider user account is activated, go to dodd.ohio.gov. Click "Log In" at the top of the page and enter your information to log in. Once you are logged in, go to the blue box in the lower left corner of the page and click on Providers, then click Provider Certification Wizard. You should be able to begin the application from this point.
Links to the rules regarding providers:
Provider Certification 5123:2-2-01
Background checks 5123:2-2-02
Services rules are found in 5123:2-9-14 through 5123:2-9-59
Additional Information - Helpful Hints
• You will need to print out the forms on the “Download Files” section and sign and date them. You will need to upload these forms to your online application. Instructions are included in the online application.
• All necessary documents MUST be uploaded to your application prior to submitting your application and making payment. The system will not allow you to submit your application and process your payment until there is something uploaded for each required document.
• When uploading your information to your application, there will be an entry for your BCII/FBI check. This information will go directly to DODD from where you had your background check done; you will not be able to upload this information. It is on the upload page as a reminder that you need to have the background check done.
• Once you choose a particular application type (individual or agency) you cannot change it.
• Do not send in information prior to submitting an application. DODD will not have any way to attach the information to your application.
• An email address is MANDATORY. This is the primary way DODD corresponds with providers. Your application will not be processed without a valid email address.
• If you are getting certified to work with a specific individual, you will need the following information to put on your application
• Name of the individual
• Medicaid number of the individual
• SSA name
• SSA phone number
• If you receive an email from DODD certification requesting additional information for your application, respond directly to that email with your information. Once your application goes into “Under Review with Specialist” status, you will receive an email. DO NOT respond to the email that has this information. This will slow down the certification process. If you need to contact someone in the certification unit, compose a new email to Provider.Certification@dodd.ohio.gov.